Blogging Fusion Blog Directory Web Directory Blog Directory Blog search directory Humor Globe of Blogs Blog directory In a Silent Way: Foreign Friday. Rosh Hashanah.

JS-Kit Comments

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Foreign Friday. Rosh Hashanah.




I am fortunate that Rosh Hashanah extends over two days and that I won't have to discuss it today.  Although I had forgotten that this apple dipping honey holiday was so rapidly approaching, I am sure that my ancestors would want me to reflect on my roots and my tradition on this New Year of 5,770.  Happy New Year. 


Foreign Friday is something I attempted to start up last week but failed.  Each Friday i will try to make a meal from a foreign country.


My first “Foreign Friday” was a success.  I made Pad Thai using a recipe from Joy of Cooking.  I used the 75th Anniversary Edition and as there have been so many reprints of this book I am unsure if Irma or her greedy, as I have heard him been called before, grandson Ethan is to blame, but the instructions were at some points unclear.  The shrimp was only supposed to marinate in a tsp. of cream of tartar and a tsp. of sesame oil.  Right under these instructions it said to add to a bowl: and then it listed ¼ cup lemon juice, soy sauce, etc.  I ended up marinating the shrimp in this concoction – which actually worked out quite well, I just added that to the noodles.  There were a couple other adaptations made to this recipe that you might consider.  I didn’t have any peanut oil and I didn’t feel like buying any so I added peanut butter to canola oil; it actually worked quite well.  If you choose to do this, omit the roasted peanuts.  I forgot bean sprouts and basil leaves.  Make sure to cut the shrimp in half, that way you’ll have twice as many.
Recipe:
            1.  Put six ounces of rice stick noodles in hot water to soak for 20-30 minutes.  Drain and then set aside.
            2.  Add 8 ounces large shrimp (peeled deveined, and split lengthwise in half) into 1tsp. cornstarch and 1tsp. toasted sesame oil.  Marinate for 15-20 minutes.
            3.  Then, separately, stir together 2tbl. Thai fish sauce, 2tbl. Soy sauce, ¼ cup fresh lemon juice or lime juice, 3tbl. Sugar.
            4.  Heat 1tbl peanut oil in a large skillet and swirl the oil around so that it is very hot but not smoking.  Add the shrimp and stir fry 30-45 seconds.  It says to drain the shrimp but I don’t know what you are draining them of.
            5.  Add 2tbl peanut oil and swirl briefly.  Add 3 eggs well beaten and stir vigorously until set.  Remove to a plate.
            6.  2 tbl. Peanut oil.  Swirl and then add:
                        ½ cup 1½ inches pieces scallion (white part only)
                        1-2 small green chiles, seeded and chopped (I recommend one)
                        1 small garlic clove (finely minced)  Cook until garlic browns slightly.
            7.  Add noodles and stir until well coated.  Add fish sauce mixture (its alright if you’ve marinated the shrimp in it) and stir well, then add the shrimp and eggs and stir well.  In the order listed, stir in:
                        ½ cup fresh bean sprouts.
                        1/3 cup roasted peanuts coarsely chopped.
                        ¼ cup basil leaves cut into thin strips.
                        ¼ cup cilantro leaves
                        ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment